Working Results for 2003 GRC Open Working Test at Westhide
Saturday 31st May
- Judges: Mr Terry Dukes & Mr Brian Gregory
- It seemed a fitting memorial to Kit Frazer – one of the
great names in the world of working Goldens – for the Open Working
Test to return to Westhide this year. One couldn’t help smiling
to think how pleased she would have been to see so many Golden
Retrievers working on the estate and on such a glorious sunny
- We started with a walk-up in the long meadow where each
dog had a retrieve behind the line and one down the line. Scenting
was poor and good marking and hunting ability soon established
which dogs were most likely to be successful. After this the
field was split into two groups, one going to the water for a
barely glimpsed mark to gunshot, across the lake and beyond a
wooded island. The other group did a test with a walking gun
through the wood where two retrieves were required. As each finished
they joined the other group.
- By lunch-time the sun was hot and the dogs were grateful
for a cooling swim in the lake. We were delighted to welcome
four South African visitors who had travelled down from London
especially to watch. I had met Terry & Ronnie Duff at the
South African Championships last August and so it was a great
pleasure to welcome them to our Open Working Test. Both Field
Trial judges, they spent lunch-time comparing notes with our
two judges, Terry Dukes & Brian Gregory, which I hope they
- After lunch the field split into two groups again with
one doing a long blind to gunshot from inside the wood, over
the fence and a fair distance out into the meadow where the dummy
had been placed in a shallow gully. This caused some problems,
especially for the younger less experienced dogs who found it
difficult to see their handlers in the shadow of the woods.
- The other group started with a blind to gunshot through
thick cover, over a hidden ditch and up a wooded hillside.
- By the end of the day, every dog had completed five tests,
two of which were double retrieves, and a clear set of results
Report by Annie Wales
- 1st. Ray Hardie’s bitch Millrythe Queensland (by Moscargrange
Amos x Millrythe Mondeo) with 93 points
- 2nd. Sarah Olner’s bitch Haresmead Idones (by Rossmhor
of Clancallum x Redhorns Miss Ellie) with 88 points
- 3rd. Hilary Smith’s bitch Foxcote Shamrock (by Tillwood
Theseus of Holywear x Standerwick Trudy of Foxcote) with 86 points
- 4th. Wendy Andrews bitch Catcombe Cymbal (by Asham Counsel
x Catcombe Chancey) with 85 points
- CoM’s to Bob Marcham’s dog Holway Vincent of Chapeldown:
his bitch Haresmead Iolanthe: Stuart Robson’s bitch Haremire
Dianne of Haddeo: Judy Hendry’s bitch Kenyee Mint of Deadcraft
all with 83 points.
Novice Stake for 14 Golden
Held on Thursday 9th October 2003 at Hayrish Farm, South Tawton,
By kind invitation of W G Walton
- Judges: Messrs
M. Knox & R. G. Downing
- COM: S Robson’s bitch Haremire Diane of Haddeo
(Haremire Dipper x Haremire Juniper)
GRC 2 day Open Stake for 24
held on Monday & Tuesday 13th
& 14th October
at The Ampton Shoot, Great Livermere,
by kind permission of Peter Hammond
Esq & the generous support of the Guns
- Judges – Lady
Hugh-Smith, Mr. P. Thorpe, Mrs. J Hay & Mr. G. Hay.
- 1st – Roger Benton’s dog Kessgold Volvo (Bembrook
Spruce – Kessgold Trixie.
- 2nd – Vic Olner’s bitch Ft.Ch. Haresmead
Isidora (Ft.Ch. Rossmhor of Clancallum – Ft.Ch. Redhorns Miss
- 3rd – Nick Coates dog Baveybuilt Vinho of
Gospelash (Ft.Ch. Ashsham Counsel – Bembrook Jouette.
- 4th – Sarah Gadd’s bitch Elmbrook Kitty (Ft.Ch.
Ben of Codicote – Glenconway Anna.
- C.O.M. Annie Wales dog Standerwick Beaujolais
(Ft.Ch. Ben of Codicote – Standerwick Robina.
- We saw some excellent dog work and the winner
was worthy of the win and a place in the retriever championship.
GRC Novice Stake for 14 Golden
held on Monday 24th November 2003 at Forrest of Bere Farm, Stockbridge,
by kind permission of N Potter
Esq & by kind invitation of Mr & Mrs Pelham
- Judges – Mrs
J A Hendry, Mrs J Venturi-Rose, C Rose.
- 1st – Mr S & Mrs A M Crookes’ bitch Millrythe
Adelaide of Moscargrange (Moscargrange Amos x Millrythe Mondeo)
- C.O.M.- R H Phillips’ bitch, Featherquest
Gemini Dream (Catcombe Clever x Featherquest Gemstone)
- P R Whitfield’s Lisle Court Lady (Danshell
Prince x Cream Machine of Rueberry)
All Aged Stake held at Sherborne Castle Estate
on 22nd December 2003
by kind permission of Mr Wingfield
Digby & the generous support of Tim Broad & the Guns.
- Judges: Mrs
JR Atkinson, Mr R Atkinson, Mrs S Olner, Miss D Walls.
- 3rd – C L MacGregor’s dog Tauvechan Magnum
(Holway Dickon x Leeglen Tornado of Tauvechan)
- C.O.M. – Mrs W Andrews’ dog Catcombe Clever
(FTCh Ashsham Council x Catcombe Chancey)
NEW FIELD TRIAL CHAMPIONS 2003
- FTCh Kessgold Volvo
d Owner/Breeder R J Benton (Bembrook Spruce x Kessgold Trixie)
- FTCh Hawthorne Heather b Owner/Breeder J Gale (Wadesmill Glen x Blendesworth
- FTCh Robenda Sioux
b Owner/Breeder R W Stobbart (FTCh Ben of Codicote x Robenda