I was honoured to have been asked to judge this prestigious open show as my first breed club judging appointment and would like to thank the exhibitors who brought their dogs under me. I would also like to thank the committee and my stewards for their hard work. I have to say I felt that
2023 Open Show Critique
I was honoured to have been asked to judge this prestigious open show as my first breed club judging appointment and would like to thank the exhibitors who brought their dogs under me. I would also like to thank the committee and my stewards for their hard work.
I have to say I felt that the strength of quality was more evident in the bitch classes with so many beautiful girls to choose from I wished I had more place cards. With the dogs, the entry as usual was smaller but I felt the strength in front assembly sometimes was lacking the quality shown in the bitches and so many needed to tighten on their pasterns and feet.
Minor Puppy Dog 5 (1)
1) Mr MP and Mrs DJ Vernon’s GRACELEIGH LEGEND OF TARZAN, 7.5 month old blond boy, good size for his age, very balanced outline attractive head leading into good reach of neck and front angulation – excellent level topline. Good straight forelegs and catlike feet – moved soundly (BP Dog).
2) Miss E Oughton’s CARUBELO LIVE THE DREAM, 6 month old light gold boy at his first show, not quite as balanced yet as winner of class but very nicely constructed with beautiful head, correct angulation and in profuse puppy coat. Good substance, ample length of neck into well laid back shoulders, slightly at the bum high stage but moved soundly. Liked him a lot and will watch his progress with interest.
Puppy Dog 4
1) Vernon’s GRACELEIGH LEGEND OF TARZAN.
2) Ms B Angell’s LINIRGOR SEVEN UP AT MILLANZA, 9 month old good sized blond boy in profuse blond coat – giving his owner a hard time but still could not deny his quality. Head maturing with dark eye, good reach of neck into layback of shoulder, excellent topline and tail carriage on the move. Close decision between 1 and 2.
Junior Dog 7 (1)
1) Mrs M and Mrs S Fleet & Webb’s WATERBABIES SONIC BOOM TO EASTBURY AND HECTSON (Imp ITA) – 17 month old blond boy in typical junior stage but an awful lot to like about him! beautiful head and expression, nothing exaggerated in construction so presented a very balanced outline, slightly short on coat but deep in chest and the most lovely level topline and tailset held on the move. Will watch with interest as he matures.
2) Mrs G A Keightley’s RICHANA ROCKET MAN, a well developed blond boy, preferred the head and expression of winner but this boy also nicely constructed and very sound on the move. Good substance level topline, just preferred the overall picture of winner.
Yearling Dog 9 (2)
1) Miss P Archer’s HAYDENGOLD JUST A RUMOUR AT SUNANDAIR JW – mid gold boy presented in beautiful coat – dark eye, mature head, correct front and rear angulation and level topline with correct tailset. Good spring of rib and short coupled creating a very balanced outline and shown beautifully by his owner and breeder – showing off his excellent movement round the good sized ring. He has matured very nicely since I last saw him and was pleased to award him Best Dog
2) Mr K Henson’s CINDERBANK MOVE IT JW – a smaller dog, light gold and less substance but still presented a very balanced outline. Dark eye, good straight forelegs, short coupled and moved soundly.
Novice Dog 4
1) Mrs C Gillan’s GRENGOLD PERSEUS, 15 months old dark gold boy, beautiful head and expression dark eye, not a large boy but good bone, straight forelegs and hocks, balanced outline holding level topline on the move.
2) Miss E & Mr A Rounce & Tye’s BERRYMEADE WINTER LOVE, mid-gold good size puppy, dark eye and masculine head, balanced angulation, level topline – still loose on the move and giving handler a hard time !
Undergrad Dog 3
1) Mrs P Todd’s VAN GOGH OF SUNSHINE’S VALLEY WITH TODDROSA, mature blond boy, dark eye, masculine head, good length of neck flowing into well laid back shoulders, short coupled with excellent topline. Well presented – moved happily around the ring with correct tailset.
2) Mr L & Mrs C Kinmond’s FERNWYCHE RAY OF SUNSHINE blond boy of lighter build, dark eye, masculine head, well constructed but still needing to mature to finish the picture – when standing he can appear to dip on topline if not stood correctly and on the move had slightly high tail carriage at the moment.
Graduate Dog 9 (3)
1) Mr K Henson’s CINDERBANK MOVE IT JW.
2) Mrs G Munro’s ALIBREN READY TEDDY, light gold mature boy not in his best coat today – masculine head, dark eye, good flow of neck into correct front assembly and level topline, holding this and correct tailset on the move.
Postgraduate Dog 5 (3)
1) Fleet & Webb’s WATERBABIES SONIC BOOM TO EASTBURY AND HECTSON.
2) Miss E Oughton’s ROCAMOKA REGGAE MASTER AT CARUBELO, light gold mature boy in profuse coat, lovely head and expression, slightly shorter in neck and would prefer more upper arm – good topline and bend of stifle and moved soundly.
Open Dog 9 (2)
1) Mrs F Clarke’s HAYDENGOLD ONE MORE KNIGHT JW mid gold boy with attractive head, excellent length of neck, front and rear angulation and topline, straight forelegs and well bent stifle. Moved very well around the ring with correct tail carriage.
2) Mrs S Norris’s FENPINQUE MAGNUM OPUS AT MOLESTREAM JW, mature blond boy, masculine head and dark eye, lovely length of neck into well laid back shoulders, straight forelegs and good catlike feet, short coupled and correct bend of stifle. Close decision between one and two just preferred overall outline on the move of winner.
Special Veteran (9+ years) 3 (1)
1) Mrs N Smith’s ROCAMOKA HARBOUR LIGHTS 9.5 year old light gold bitch with beautiful reach of neck into well laid back shoulders, balanced front and rear angulation and short in loin. Moved well around the ring, pleased to award her BVIS
2) Mrs L & Miss R Harding & Start’s EVENINGHILL MOMENT TO SHINE a smaller darker bitch, attractive head with dark eye, not in quite her best coat today. Ample length of neck, my notes said would prefer more upper arm to complete her front angulation. Level topline and moved well around the ring.
Special Open 1
1) Mr I Roper’s CATNNELS INSIDE STORY FOR BRENSHAM SGWC, 8.5 year old mid gold boy, dark eye, straight forelegs and hocks, short coupled holding level topline on the move.
Minor Puppy Bitch 12 (3)
This was an extremely strong class of lovely minor puppy bitches, so good to see these youngsters starting their show careers.
1) Miss C & Mr M TAYLOR & TENN’s STRETTONHILL CUSTOM MADE, 7 month old blond puppy bitch, caught my eye on the first move around the ring with the other exhibitors in this class. Just my cup of tea, prettiest of heads with dark eye, so balanced in her outline with dead straight front forelegs and catlike feet, good angulation without being overdone, her handler moved her to perfection at just the right pace for her, so pleased to be able to award her BPIS.
2) Mrs M Fossdike, THORNYWAIT ROYAL DESIGN AT MEIPERE, another stunning 6 month old puppy at her first show, light gold in good coat, feminine head with dark eye, finer build but excellent construction which showed on her movement around the ring once she was settled. Her outline stacked was so very balanced and I look forward to seeing her progress in the ring.
Puppy Bitch 7 (3)
1) Taylor & Tenn’s STRETTONHILL CUSTOM MADE.
2) Mrs J Ward’s WILD ROSE TO LAURENLEY OF SUNSHINE’S VALLEY (imp Bel) 10 month old blond bitch, presented in lovely condition, good bone, short coupled with level topline, just preferred the movement of class winner but a very close decision which could change on another day.
Junior Bitch 7 (3)
1) Miss K Clunie’s WARRENTOR NOHKALIKAI, mid gold bitch not in her best coat yet but nothing to hide. Prettiest head with dark eye, excellent bone in her straight forelegs and very neat catlike feet, balanced angulation, nothing overdone. Level topline held while she happily moved soundly around the ring. Pleased to hear that this win gave her the final point for her JW.
2) Mrs M Fleet’s WATERBABIES KALAKUTA TO EASTBURY (imp Ita) 17month old blond bitch, dark eye, good reach of neck into layback and level topline. Short coupled with good angulation and moved happily around the ring. Both lovely bitches just preferred class winner on presentation in final line up of class.
Yearling Bitch 6 (1)
1) Clunie’s WARRENTOR NOHKALIKAI.
2) Mrs J & Mr R Chan’s WEMCREST SOUND OF MUSIC another mid gold bitch with kind expression, good length of neck, straight forelegs and hocks, short coupled and good topline. Another close decision just preferred movement of winner on this occasion.
Novice Bitch 8
1) Ward’s WILD ROSE TO LAURENLEY OF SUNSHINE’S VALLEY.
2) Fossdike’s THORNYIWAIT ROYAL DESIGN AT MEIEPERE.
Undergraduate Bitch 6 (1)
1) Clunie’s WARRENTOR NOHKALIKAI.
2) Fleet’s WATERBABIES KALAKUTA TO EASTBURY.
Graduate Bitch 9 (4)
1) Mr M Mrs T & Miss L Layland’s APPLECOTE LOVE AFFAIR, 2 year old light gold bitch with the prettiest expression, good flow of neck into level topline, straight forelegs with catlike feet, moved with drive happily around the ring.
2) Fleet’s WATERBABIES KALAKUTA TO EASTBURY.
Postgraduate Bitch 7 (1)
1) Mrs C Haxton’s DANTASSIE DIZZIE WHIZZIE, good sized blond bitch just coming back into coat with nothing to hide. Superb outline when stacked and didn’t disappoint when I had my hands on her. Feminine head, good layback, straight forelegs neat feet, well muscled. Moved with drive holding her topline.
2) Mrs T & Miss A Ives’ BALSAMINA BELLINI JW, Another beautifully constructed blond bitch, in good coat and condition, finer boned, prettiest feminine head and shown to perfection. A very close decision just preferring overall picture on the day of winner.
Open Bitch 12 (3)
1) Mrs M Fossdike’s MEIEPERE YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE Est/Lva Jch/Balt JW, eye catching blond bitch in tiptop condition happily freestanding for her owner. Lovely feminine head with ample neck length into well laid back shoulders and a dead level topline. Straight forelegs with catlike feet, good spring of rib and correct angulation which enabled her to stride effortlessly around the ring. Pleased to award her Best Bitch & Best in Show.
2) Mr M & Mrs D Vernon’s GRACELEIGH FIRENZE, 4 year old light gold bitch also with a lot to like about her. Well angulated front and rear, level topline and mature in body. Just preferred the front movement of winner of class.
Diana Cruttwell (Judge)